While some dental practices are tried-and-true for keeping your teeth healthy, such as brushing after meals and flossing daily, advances in technology have provided dentists with newer and better options that can be used to optimize your dental health and provide a more comfortable experience in the dentist’s chair. At Gentle Care Dentistry in Azusa, CA, Dr. Brianne Luu is equipped with new dental technologies that enable her to provide an unsurpassed quality of care and patient comfort.
- Crown preparation
- Gum disease
- Cauterization of the gum
What is The Wand?The Wand is a replacement for the traditional syringes used to apply local anesthesia before dental treatments such as cavity fillings, periodontal cleanings, or other dental procedures. It is a computer-assisted device that allows the dentist to administer a precise dose of anesthetic to the exact location that it is needed.
Much of the pain associated with a numbing shots in dentistry is due to the speed of which the anesthesia goes into the tissue. With The Wand, the numbing agent is administered at a controlled rate with minimal pressure so that the pain associated with the shot is nearly eliminated.
What are the benefits of The Wand?The Wand has many benefits over traditional needles when used in dental injections:
- It doesn’t look like a syringe, which can reduce anxiety for patients who dislike needles or shots;
- Because of the precise rate and pressure that the dose is administered, the experience is more comfortable, leading to a more relaxed patient;
- It numbs the individual tooth or teeth being treated, which means that patients can return to their normal activities immediately afterwards without fear of drooling, a drooping mouth, or the inability to properly speak or eat.
iTero Element scanner: how it worksThe iTero Element scanner is an advanced digital scanner that generates a precise 3D image of your mouth. In contrast to x-rays or dental impressions, which can only take one image/impression at a time, the iTero Element scanner takes up to 20 pictures per second. As the pictures are taken over a few minutes, a 3D image of your teeth and gums emerges on the computer screen for the dentist to use in treatment planning.
Uses for the iTero Element scannerThis advanced scanning technology can be used for a variety of purposes such as:
- Creating imprints of dental restorations such as crowns, bridges, dentures, or implants;
- Creating oral appliances such as mouth guards or night guards for teeth grinding;
- Invisalign consultation and planning;
- Invisalign progress assessment;
- Diagnosing issues with your teeth or gums;
- Help in identifying the right treatment plan for your specific dental issues.
Benefits of 3D imagingThere are many benefits to using 3D imaging instead of traditional molds that use putties to take a physical impression of the teeth.
- The digital images created by the iTero Element scanner are much more accurate than physical dental impressions.
- When the scans are used to plan out treatments such as Invisalign, patients can see the end results before the treatment even begins!
- Perhaps of most importance to the patient, the 3D imaging process is much more comfortable. Instead of sitting with bad-tasting, bulky putty in their mouths that leave a chalky residue and can trigger gag reflexes, a small camera is simply inserted in the mouth to take the mold. This provides for improved patient comfort.