Dentist in Azusa, CA describes why orthodontic treatment and care is important for a healthy smile
The field of orthodontics is a specialized field of dentistry. This particular branch of dental care addresses the alignment of the teeth for patients in the area of Azusa, CA who may have imperfect smiles. A new smile may be achieved with the use of braces, retainers, or clear aligner trays. At Gentle Care Dentistry, patients can work with our dentist, Dr. Brianne Luu, to achieve a better-aligned smile with orthodontic services. We offer a variety of options and can explain why orthodontic treatment and proper care of the smile during treatment is essential. It’s never too late for patients to consider orthodontic treatment, and Dr. Brianne Luu encourages adults and children to consider improving dental health and wellness, as well as appearance, with the use of orthodontia.
What orthodontic treatments are available?
At the practice of Dr. Brianne Luu, patients have several treatment options to choose from. They include:
- Traditional orthodontics – when patients think of braces, they often think of metal brackets and wires for realigning the teeth. Traditional orthodontics is the most conventional treatment available. Braces can be used to treat patients with mild to severe malocclusion. They can move teeth into the desired position within the arch, and address common concerns including overbites, underbites, and crossbites. Traditional orthodontics do require special care and attention to ensure the smile is clean and healthy from start to finish. Care includes brushing, flossing, and routine visits to evaluate progression.
- Six Month Smiles – another option for patients is that of Six Month Smiles. This treatment uses brackets and wires as conventional methods do, though these appliances are tooth-colored to appear far less evident within the smile. Six Month Smiles is not for everyone. Patients with mild imperfections near the front of the smile are best suited for this method. This includes gaps, crooked teeth, or poor spacing, among other concerns. Also, Six Month Smiles provides a fast fix with self-ligating wires used with tooth-colored brackets. Most patients can improve their smile between dental evaluations and cleanings!
- Clear aligner therapy – the third and most popular option is that of clear aligner therapy. With the use of clear plastic aligner trays, patients can reposition the teeth within the smile without having to cover them with brackets and wires. These trays are created to fit closely over the teeth in the arch to push them into better alignment. Patients wear the trays day and night, using each tray for two weeks before progressing to the next. Patients love the ability to straighten the smile without covering it with metal.
Which orthodontic treatment is right for me?
To determine the orthodontic solution best for one’s smile, patients visit with Dr. Brianne Luu for an initial evaluation and to determine candidacy. Patients discuss their desires, and the dentist educates them on the many methods of orthodontic treatment available. Once patients have chosen the one appropriate for their specific needs, they can move forward with treatment.
Why is orthodontic treatment necessary?
While most patients think of orthodontic treatment as a solution for misaligned teeth, there is much more to orthodontic work than meets the eye. Orthodontic treatment is not necessary for every patient, as the idea behind orthodontics is to create a healthy bite and straighter smile. A proper bite makes it easier for patients to bite, chew, and speak properly while ensuring less wear and tear on the teeth and restorations in the smile. Orthodontic treatment is very beneficial for several reasons. Orthodontic treatment:
- Helps correct the alignment of the teeth for proper bite connection
- Makes it easier to clean the teeth, especially if overcrowding is present
- May be required before additional dental work begins
- Prepares the teeth for restorations with proper alignment
- Improves the aesthetics of the smile, which is important for self-confidence
- Starts with a consultation at Gentle Care Dentistry
How do I care for my orthodontia?
The type of orthodontia used for a patient will vary depending on their needs, though in most cases, care of orthodontia is often simple. Traditional braces and Six Month Smiles require brushing and flossing every day to make sure food particles have not become trapped in the brackets and wires. These food particles can cause cavities and contribute to the development of periodontal disease. Patients are given unique flossing accessories to make it easier to floss around the wires with ease. Additionally, patients who have clear aligner trays will need to rinse them after removing them from the smile and before placing them back. Patients using these trays remove them to properly brush and floss before replacing the tray in the smile. By following strict instructions on caring for orthodontic appliances, many patients can avoid future problems such as discoloration of the natural teeth or decay underneath the brackets.
Are there any alternatives to orthodontic treatment?
For patients who are seeking orthodontic treatment primarily for aesthetics of the teeth near the front of the mouth, there are other options available. These options may include porcelain veneers or composite resin bonding. Both of these aesthetic restorations can be utilized in a way to disguise problem areas of the smile quickly and easily. These may be best for patients who have a misalignment of a single tooth or those who have a gap between their two front teeth. The veneers and composite bonding provide coverage for these issues while also creating the illusion of a natural tooth. These materials mimic the appearance of natural adult teeth, ensuring seamless integration. For patients with poor bite alignment, orthodontic treatment is the only way to achieve results. However, many patients can use more discrete treatment options to eliminate the embarrassment of traditional metal brackets and wires in adult patients.
Are you ready to move forward with orthodontic treatment?
Dr. Brianne Luu and her team at Gentle Care Dentistry are pleased to provide orthodontic options for patients who want a better-aligned smile and bite. With the help of our team, men, women, and children can enhance the appearance and function of their smile using orthodontia. Call +1 626-466-9596 today to schedule your consultation at 232 N Azusa Ave, Azusa, CA.
Back to Orthodontics Page