Dentist in Azusa, CA describes the advantages of mercury-free dental fillings
When cavities develop in a patient’s teeth, it is important that they talk to their dentist about halting the decay and repairing the tooth with a filling. In many dental practices, it is common to place fillings that are made with metals and mercury, such as silver amalgam fillings. However, these fillings are not biocompatible with the body and it is possible that the mercury can cause toxicity or allergic reactions in the body. Instead, our team at Gentle Care Dentistry in Azusa, CA encourages patients to consider the use of mercury-free fillings. The most common mercury-free option is tooth-colored composite resin.
What is composite resin?
Composite resin is a specialized material that can be used for repairing and restoring teeth within the smile. This material is highly desirable because it has many benefits. Composite resin is:
- Affordable: Patients love the ability to treat areas of decay with an affordable solution such as composite resin bonding
- Safe: Because composite resin bonding does not have any mercury or metal, it is completely biocompatible and safe for use in the oral cavity
- Effective: Composite resin bonding effectively seals a tooth that has been treated for a cavity, ensuring bacteria does not reenter
- Fast: Composite resin fillings are placed during a single appointment, making it faster than ever to address decay
- Not susceptible to expansion and contraction: Silver amalgam fillings are known to expand and contract with temperature changes; however, composite resin fillings stay in place and seal the tooth effectively, keeping bacteria from infecting the inner portion of the tooth and preventing unnecessary pressure from being placed on the neighboring teeth
- Aesthetically appealing: Composite resin material closely mimics the appearance of natural tooth enamel in both color and opacity; this makes it a highly cosmetic solution for patients who do not want their fillings to be noticeable in their smiles
Many patients will find that composite resin bonding is the best mercury-free restoration for their needs.
Contact Gentle Care Dentistry today
Patients in Azusa, CA and the surrounding communities who want to work with a dentist who provides mercury-free fillings can contact Dr. Brianne Luu by calling +1 626-466-9596. Our facility is conveniently located at 232 North Azusa Ave. and is open to new and current patients seeking comprehensive dental care.Back to Mercury Safe Dentistry Page