Dentist in Azusa, CA answers, how do dental crowns work?
Patients in Azusa, CA who require restorative work may be introduced to dental crowns by their dentist, Dr. Brianne Luu of Gentle Care Dentistry. Dental crowns are restorations that have been used by dentists for years. Some patients refer to them as “caps,” as they cover the entire visible portion of a natural tooth. These versatile restorations are used in a variety of different ways.
How do dental crowns work?
Dental crowns play a variety of roles in general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry. Here are just a few ways in which dental crowns are utilized at Gentle Care Dentistry:
- As a false tooth. Some patients use dental crowns to act as a false tooth. This is often done in conjunction with an implant. Dr. Brianne Luu describes a dental implant as a titanium restoration that is placed into the bone of the jaw when a tooth is missing. This restoration is held in place by the bone after a process called osseointegration. Once the dental implant is firmly in place, the dentist will place a dental crown custom-made for the patient. This crown is placed over the abutment of the dental implant. This crown and implant combination restore the appearance and function of the mouth after a single tooth has been lost or extracted.
- As an element of a dental bridge. Dental bridges are another tooth replacement option available with Dr. Brianne Luu. The bridge is made of one or more false teeth called pontics. These are fused to dental crowns on each end. The dental crowns are placed over the adjacent teeth, allowing the pontics to “bridge the gap” left behind by the lost tooth or teeth. This will enable patients to have a permanent restoration after tooth loss.
- As a protective layer. Teeth that have had work done may become weak and susceptible to damage. When teeth have been worked on, the dentist may place a dental crown over the tooth’s structure. This is often done after root canal therapy or large fillings. This eliminates the need to extract the tooth and gives a layer of protection against strong biting and chewing forces.
What is the process required to obtain a dental crown?
Most patients are appropriate candidates for dental crowns, though this is discussed after the dentist has been able to perform a thorough evaluation of a patient’s smile. Once patients decide to move forward with placing the dental crown, they will need to have the teeth prepared. Preparation often requires the dentist to remove some of the natural tooth enamel from around the entire tooth. Then, a mold is completed of the prepared tooth, which is sent to a dental laboratory for crown fabrication. The dental laboratory that creates the dental crown will pay close attention to the color, shape, and size of the dental crown. This ensures it matches the patient’s existing teeth. A temporary crown will be placed over the tooth in the meantime while patients wait for their final restoration. Once the dental crown is complete and has been sent to Gentle Care Dentistry, patients will return for the bonding of their crown into the smile.
What are the benefits of dental crowns?
Patients often find that their dental crowns have a variety of benefits to them. Dental crowns are:
- Effective in strengthening teeth
- Easy to create and place
- Affordable and often partly covered by dental insurance
- Versatile, offering different ways to repair and restore the smile
With so many advantages, patients will be able to rest easy knowing they made a smart choice in choosing dental crowns for smile repair. During an evaluation, patients will be advised if there are alternative options available to them. For example, patients missing teeth may want to choose an alternative such as a denture or a dental implant, depending on their unique needs. Our dental team will help provide the information patients need to make an educated decision regarding their smile’s future. For many of our patients, crowns are an excellent choice!
Speak to Dr. Brianne Luu today about dental crowns and other cosmetic restorations available.
Azusa, CA area patients interested in restoring their smiles with crowns are welcome to request an appointment with the team at Gentle Care Dentistry. Call +1 626-466-9596 today to schedule a visit at 232 North Azusa Avenue.Back to Dental Crowns Page