How Dental Care Affects Your Overall Health in Azusa, CA
Oral health is not only about the health of your gums, mouth, and teeth. Since our mouth acts as a doorway into the body, poor oral health can have a negative impact on the entire body. Bacteria from the mouth can get into the bloodstream and cause internal inflammation and infections. Therefore, it is crucial for Azusa, CA, patients to take care of their mouth and visit their dentist regularly. If you want to know how dental care affects health, here is a list of the most common diseases and health problems caused by improper oral care and bad oral health.
- Cardiovascular disease: People with poor oral health are at risk of heart disease. If the gums are constantly inflamed by the bacteria causing periodontal disease, there is a risk that it can get into the bloodstream and cause atherosclerosis (hardening of arteries). It is a severe health condition because it may lead to heart blockages and increase the likelihood of a heart attack.
- Respiratory health issues: The bacteria from the mouth can get into the lungs and cause serious diseases like pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and acute bronchitis.
- Diabetes: The results of numerous studies show that periodontal disease caused by the bacteria in the mouth makes diabetes more difficult to control. Blood sugar levels can increase because of gum disease, which worsens the symptoms of diabetes.
- Pregnancy complications: It is vital for pregnant women to practice good oral hygiene. Due to hormonal changes in the woman’s body, the risk of oral infections is much higher.
- Infertility issues: Some studies have shown that oral problems can make it harder for a woman to conceive and sustain a healthy pregnancy. Moreover, statistics show that it takes longer for a woman with oral issues to get pregnant.
Now you know why dental care is important and why you need to take care of your teeth and regularly visit a dentist. It is always better to prevent health problems than have to cure them later.
Your Oral Health is Important to Us
Our dental clinic takes care of patients of all ages by providing different types of dental services that you and your family require, including cosmetic dentistry, mercury-safe dentistry, children’s dentistry, and emergency dentistry. The practice is run by Dr. Luu, who is trained in many areas of general and cosmetic dentistry.
If you have any questions about the services and treatments we offer or you would like to schedule an appointment, feel free to reach us at +1 626-466-9596.Back to Home Page