Azusa dentist answers question what’s a root canal?
At Gentle Care Dentistry in Azusa, CA, we are committed to helping patients overcome their anxieties about dental care. We believe the thing people fear the most is the unknown, and so, knowledge is power. Many people don’t understand dental procedures, which increases their anxiety about them. We believe education is just as important as the dental work we perform. We want you to understand the answer to the question, ‘What’s a root canal?” Once explained, root canals cease to be scary to our patients.
A root canal is used to save a tooth that is badly decayed or has a deep infection. Once bacteria hit the pulp within the tooth it become infected. A root canal clears all the nerve tissue and pulp from the inside of the tooth.
Why it’s necessary:
Once the tissue becomes infected, it can lead to an abscess. This occurs when the infection moves beyond the tooth. It can lead to swelling in other areas of the head, face, or neck. It could also lead to bone loss and drainage problems extending from the root.
Factors that can lead to damaged tissue:
- Deep decay
- Multiple dental procedures on the same tooth.
- Excessively large fillings.
- Trauma to the face
- Fractured or broken tooth
What happens during a root canal:
- X-rays: This shows whether the infection has spread beyond the tooth.
- Local anesthesia: This is used to numb the area for your comfort.
- An access hole will be drilled that is then used to remove all decayed nerve tissue and debris.
- The tooth is cleaned out and sealed.
- A crown is made to match your existing teeth and placed.
Don’t let fear hold you back! Let us get you the healthy smile you deserve. Call our office today at +1 626-466-9596 to schedule an appointment.