Azura, CA dentist answers the question, “What are tooth extractions?”
Most people have heard of “having your wisdom teeth pulled.” Sometimes, other permanent teeth also need to be removed. Maybe you have wondered, “What are tooth extractions?” Any time a tooth is removed, it is a tooth extraction. Gentle Care Dentistry in Azusa, CA believes in helping patients have the healthiest smile possible. Tooth extractions are done when there is no way to save the natural tooth.
Several factors can lead to the removal of a tooth. Gum disease can loosen or damage teeth. Maybe an injury has broken a tooth beyond repair or your tooth is extensively decayed. If this is the case, a tooth extraction will be done to preserve your overall oral health.
- A thorough examination and consultation comes first. During this time, we determine whether anything can be done to save the tooth. If not, an appointment is scheduled for an extraction.
- At the beginning of the extraction, we will administer a local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth that will be removed.
- The tooth is removed using specialized dental tools.
- Stitches may be required after the removal. We will have you bite down on cotton gauze to help stop the bleeding.
- We advise the use of ice packs to help with any post extraction pain or swelling.
- After a day, warm salt water rinses may be helpful. This is done gently to avoid loosening the blood clot at the site of extraction.
- Do not use straws and avoid any other sucking motions.
We want all our patients to have healthy and beautiful smiles. If we feel a tooth extraction is necessary we will devise a treatment plan that leads to a tooth replacement to help keep your smile gorgeous. Get started on a smile you will love! +1 626-466-9596