Tooth Whitening Services in Azusa, CA
What do people notice about your smile? Is it your happy appearance and your kind expression? Alternatively, do they notice discoloration and stains? To keep your teeth white, it’s important to understand what causes the staining or yellowing.
Discoloration or staining of the teeth is caused by several factors, including:
- Food and beverages – If the foods and beverages that you’re eating and drinking are dark in color, there’s a good chance they could discolor your teeth over time. For example, soda, coffee, tea, red wine, and red sauces negatively affect the whiteness and brightness of your smile. Try to limit your consumption of these items. If you can’t kick the coffee habit, consider using a straw to keep the dark liquid away from the front teeth. Additionally, try to brush your teeth after drinking or eating dark items. If that’s not possible, rinse your mouth with water to remove some of the staining food particles.
- Medications – Certain medications are known to cause the teeth to become discolored when used by kids with developing teeth. Antihistamines and medications to address blood pressure can cause adult teeth to appear discolored. It’s important to tell your dentist which medications you’re taking.
- Aging – While there’s not much you can do about this one, the aging process can cause your teeth to become discolored as the outer layer of enamel begins to wear away.
- Poor oral hygiene – It is important to brush and floss daily. Not only does it give you fresh breath and clean gums, it keeps the teeth free from food particles that can cause discoloration. Be sure to brush your teeth a minimum of two times each day and floss at least once each day to keep your mouth healthy and your smile white.
- Trauma – Again, most trauma is out of your control, but it’s important to note that a fall or being hit in the mouth can cause discoloration in adults and children.
A healthy and bright smile is important to you, and it’s important to Dr. Brianne Luu and the team at Gentle Dental Care in Azusa, CA. If coffee, medication, poor hygiene, or aging has caused your teeth to become yellow or dark, Dr. Luu can offer professional dental whitening that you can apply in the comfort of your own home to whiten and brighten your smile. Call today for more information.