91702 dentist educates parents about pediatric dental care
There are many things expectant parents must do when preparing for a baby. These include decorating the nursery and buying clothes and necessities. Expectant parents also want to line up the best pediatric care for their baby before his or her arrival. In addition to finding a pediatrician they can trust, they should seek a dentist who will provide gentle and compassionate care. They can find this dentist at Gentle Care Dentistry in Azusa, CA. Her name is Dr. Brianne Luu, and our younger patients often call her “Dr. Brianne.”
Protecting your baby’s teeth from cavities
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends a child is seen by dentist after he or she cuts the first tooth or by age one. Until that time, there are multiple ways to protect a baby from cavities. Babies are not born with the bacteria that cause dental caries, the disease that leads to cavities. However, the saliva from a parent’s mouth can have germs that cause the bacteria to develop. Parents can take multiple precautions against baby cavities including:
- Wipe the baby’s mouth with a soft, moist washcloth every day before he or she cuts the first tooth.
- When the teeth are visible, brush them with a small soft bristle toothbrush. Brush the teeth twice a day, in the morning and before bedtime.
- Give the baby healthy snacks such as yogurt, fruit, and cheese. Avoid unhealthy treats such as candy, juice, and soda.
- Avoid giving the baby juice until he or she is 6 months old. Babies should only have 4-6 ounces of juice per day.
- Do not let the baby sleep with a bottle of milk or juice. The sugars convert to acid, which can cause dental caries.
- White spots on the teeth are a sign of cavities. If you notice them, contact us immediately.
We believe it is important to be as prepared as possible before the arrival of your baby. We would love to talk with you about other ways to keep you baby’s teeth and gums healthy. Schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Luu by calling +1 626-466-9596 today.